Saturday, July 2, 2011

Watercolor & Oil Pastel Batik

For our watercolor week in the 1s/2s class I was planning for an ice painting and oil pastel resist project like we did in the mixed age class. Before class began I came across some extra fabric lying around and decided to experiment with an oil pastel and watercolor batik instead. I taped the fabric to a tray so that it wouldn't move around when the kids tried to draw on it. I first offered them white oil pastels to use on white cotton fabric, which is not at all exciting to toddlers (even when I tried to explain that they would magically see their drawing appear when they painted it). Here, a big sister demonstrates the first step.
 After a very brief drawing experience, I offered the kids liquid watercolor to paint onto their work.
 Even with the light pressure of a toddler, the oil pastel still showed up and resisted the watercolor, creating a batik effect.
After trying out the batiks, I finally brought out the ice painting project-  offering them colorful oil pastels, watercolor ice paints and paper.

Eventually the kids began to collect items from the shelf to use in their paintings.
 A fun day of watercolor experiments!

5 comments:

  1. precioso como siempre!!!! enhorabuena!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used oil pastels in the classroom, but you've inspired me to give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project.
    The expression in the children's faces priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to see these kids exploring the world of art. Their parents should be proud on them.

    ReplyDelete